So over the past couple of weeks I have spent about 32 hours watching this TV series called Dexter! And as you might be able to tell, I am hooked. I try not to start watching TV shows that have more then 3 or 4 seasons, because when I start something I will not stop it until I have seen every episode. This habit is extremely bad, especially when I could have spent even half of that time and devoted it to some of my piles and piles of uni work… that keep getting bigger and bigger, because I am too ‘busy’ to do it.
So, pretty much, Dexter is about a man, Dexter Morgan, who is a blood spatter pattern analyst for the Miami Metro Police Department. This man, Dexter, is also a serial killer. However, he is not the ordinary mean, psychopathic serial killer – he only (mostly) kills bad people. Dexter does take pleasure from killing people, but his late foster father, Harry, taught him to live by a certain code and to kill only people who deserve it! You find out later in the first season the reason why Dexter is how he is. Although he is a killer, he abides by a certain set of rules and safety measures that ensure he doesn’t get caught. Sometimes, he even ends up investigating his own murder cases. He does this all as well as managing his job, a girlfriend, and later on a family. I am currently only up to season 4, and season 7 has just come out, so I have a lot more to go. I guess I should say goodbye to exam study now.
I don’t want to tell you much more about this show; otherwise I may ruin it for some who might actually want to watch it. Although it has so many seasons, it just keeps getting better and better: I heard the sixth season is one of its best. I would highly recommend Dexter to anyone who is willing to spend the hours to watch all of it, as it is not something where you can just watch a random episode here and there, because the episodes follow in sequence.
I’ll leave you with some interesting facts … or just some facts; you may not actually find them interesting.
- The actor who plays Dexter (Michael C. Hall) actually had cancer while filming some of the later seasons.
- Michael Hall was married to Jennifer Carpenter, who in the show plays his sister (Debra), who also works for Miami Metro Police Department as a cop.
- In 2009, a video game of Dexter was released on iPad and PC.
- The show has been associated with actual crimes:
- During a murder trial, the defendant Mark Twitchell was found to have adopted the persona of ‘Dexter Morgan’ on Facebook, and had made a movie that was similar to how Dexter operates. Prosecutors alleged that Twitchell had begun a secret double life inspired by Dexter
- Andrew Conley, during another murder investigation by police said the show inspired him to strangled his 10 year old brother after he stated he “watches a show called Dexter on Showtime, about a serial killer”, and he stated, ‘I just feel like him’.
Can’t say I am as big a fan as these people but, nonetheless, this is a great show to get into! Just don’t try what he does at home people!